Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Practice Sentences

Thank you so much for the short prompt, Erin.  I realized tonight as I tried to face cleaning my kitchen after getting my kids to bed, that I was really trying to draw water from an empty well.  I decided to leave my dishes for the morning (gasp!) and do this prompt instead.  I'm afraid I didn't have a lot of creativity left in me after the day I've had, so hope these are not too silly or bizarre, but it certainly helped me end my day on a more lighthearted note than I would have if I had opted for dishes.
My favorite snack in the world is pretzels with chocolate.
  1. These pretzels are making me thirsty.  (sorry--stole this one from Seinfeld--couldn't help myself)
  2. I put the morsel to my tongue and let the heat of my mouth melt the chocolate slowly, anticipating the surprising tingle of the first grain of salt to reach my taste buds.
  3. As I lay on my back on the island we had just washed up on, I thought to myself, "what I could really use right now is some pretzels with chocolate."
  4. "Your request, please," the computer console prompted me in a pleasant tone.  I smirked to myself and said, "pretzels with chocolate, please."  I was answered by a long hum, and then a repeat of the original prompt, "Your request, please."  With a sigh I gave the usual response, "fortified nutrition," and watched as the thin gray liquid trickled into my glass.
  5. From his pocket, the four-year-old drew out a handful of something sticky and brown.  "Do you want some pretzels with chocolate?" he asked me as he held out the melted clump.  I took a deep breath and answered, "don't mind if I do."
Sadly, Robert was never the same after that.
  1. And that, my friends, is why Robert now paces slowly back and forth along the same fourteen tiles on the floor of his padded cell.
  2. The experience had changed Robert, created in him the ability to finally truly give himself to a woman, even though no other woman would ever fill the place that she had left.
  3. Sadly, Robert was never the same after that, and not just because of the extensive physical scarring.
  4. Robert knew that life would never be the same for him again.  "Call me Roberta," he said as he greeted the woman that only yesterday had been his wife."
  5. "Here's to our local hero, Robert McGregor!" roared the mayor, and the town responded with echoing cheers and applause.  Robert lowered his gaze, but out of shame, not humility.  He was no hero and  he knew it, and no amount of praise would make him proud of what he had just done.

3 comments:

ern said...

For some reason when I checked your post before I couldn't see anything! Weird. So I'm glad I came back to check again. If I could write things like this after a stressful day/bedtime with kids I would be one happy camper. :) I especially like the melting pretzel sentence. It is extremely descriptive, like pausing to really experience it.
But I have to admit, I'm curious if there's more story to the "computer console" one. Maybe next prompt could be the beginning of a plot like that and we each have to finish it! ooooh... sounds fun.

Courtney said...

I love the pretzel sentence #2. I could taste and experience it just how you wrote it, it was great! I also enjoyed #5 of the Robert sentence - I liked that you did not use one word from the original prompt and completely took another side of the idea, where the others almost all had the original sentence in it. It left me wanting more. I am glad you chose to write instead of clean! :)

Unknown said...

On the second prompt I liked that you took the sentences from humours to dramatic. I like the versitility.

I love the pretzel chocolate sentences. Chocolate covered pretzels do happen to be my favorite snack. I last one made me laugh because that is something I would totally do as the four year old AND the adult...in fact...I think I have :).