Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Kim's Dream

I closed my eyes that night, unaware where my dreams would take me. The places my dreams usually take me were always distant reminders of familiarity. I didn't know why, but I felt that I had always been there.
When I opened my eyes I was in an open field, barren of any life. The colors were all somewhat sepia-like. There was one tree in the far distance. It was black and had no leaves and stood motionless. It just stood there as if it was waiting for something or someone to remove it from it's misery. I stood there looking around for anything. The ground was hard and dry. There was a soft breeze in the air. I stood for a moment...I felt a strange heavy feeling in my stomach. I turned around and saw her. She had a black long flowing tattered dress on. She had black torn wings that I could see right through. Her hair was long and black and her face was icy pale. Her lips were a dark blue as if she had been standing outside in an ice storm all night. I wouldn't have been so afraid if I hadn't looked at her eyes. They seemed to look right through me. They were the blackest eyes I have ever seen. She seemed to stare deep into my soul, or right through me. I wasn't sure which. All I knew was that I was scared. She opened her mouth but didn't move her lips. A sound came out that sent shivers up my spine and I felt sick to my stomach. It sounded as if 10 voices were speaking at once, all saying the same thing. "Get out".
I shook my head at her. "I don't know how to!" I whispered.
"Get out and don't come back" the voices said simultaneously.I kept shaking my head. My whole body was trembling. "How do I get out of here!" I shouted."Ruuunnnnn" they said. Then she started laughing. I looked at her for what seemed like an eternity before I started running. Where was I going to go? This place seemed to never end.I started heading what I think was East. I ran until my feet were burning. I stopped and bent down to try and catch my breath. I sat for a few minutes and then I started to feel the heavy feeling again. I looked up and there she was again.
"Who are you?" I asked.
"I have no name." She said, the many voices echoing around me.
"I don't know why I am here and I don't know where to go."She suddenly turned from me and flew away. Her tattered wings made a horrible screeching sound. I didn't understand any of this. I looked around again. The one lonely tree I had seen was now gone. There was nothing. I was lost in a place that I knew nothing about. With a freakish angel chasing me who's motives were unknown.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Very spooky! I loved the description of ten voices shouting at once--I could almost hear it myself. Have you read A Great and Terrible Beauty (and sequels) by Libba Bray? Your descriptions remind me a lot of the imagery in those books.

BeBe said...

Kim, I thought this was an excellent dream. I think you could turn it into a longer story. Your descriptions were good. I would love to read more about your scary lady. I found it a bit frightening where you ask 'Who are you' that phrase was used a lot in mine. I thoroughly enjoyed it even though it scared me. Thanks