Friday, July 11, 2008

(A Very Late) Writing Prompt #3

So I apologize for not getting a writing prompt up before this. I've had quite a few people email and ask what it was and I had no idea because I haven't had time to think about it. I've been writing an article for a local publication that was supposed to be some easy cash and has turned into a month-long nightmare that still isn't over. Hopefully it will be soon. However, I have turned in a rough draft for that so I finally have some time to post on our blog. I've been mulling over some ideas for the writing prompt, but it seemed to be consensus last month that things would work better if we were working on continuous stories rather than bits of ones here and there. That way we can get a feeling for each other's writing styles and be in a better place to give helpful critiques.

With that in mind, I am going to keep it simple...the assignment this month is to take something you've written for the blog and keep writing! You can flesh it out with more background, even writing about the events leading up to your last post, or you can continue with your story. Granted, there haven't been a ton of people posting, but that's OK...if you haven't posted anything yet, take something you've written in the past (preferrably something you already have saved somewhere in your computer) and put up 2 posts simultaneously--first the original writing, and then the stuff you've added this month. Does that make sense? Then we still get an idea of how each other's writing is progressing.

So I know the summertime is busiest for most of us (including the 3 of you who either just had babies or are expecting one soon) but please do what you can to keep our blog alive! Let's say word count should vaguely fall somewhere between 500-1,000 words.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

you and your word count!

Melody said...

Hi Ern,
Sorry I don't have your e-mail, or I would e-mail this to you. I was wondering if you could take me off of the blog. I wanted to participate, but am finding I just don't have the time right now. It is a great idea. Thank you for giving me a chance.