Sunday, June 1, 2008

Writing Post #2

I don't know if the rest of you are Stephenie Meyer fans like me, but I just finished reading her new novel, The Host, and I am itching for some more good fantasy writing.  One of my favorite fantasy authors is Gail Carson Levine who wrote Ella Enchanted.  This prompt comes from her book on writing (Writing Magic: Creating Stories that Fly).  

Pick one of the following introductory sentences and free write for twenty minutes.  You are welcome to change the sentences in any way that you like.  After twenty minutes you can keep going, revise what you wrote, or try a new prompt if you feel like it.  Anything goes--but try to keep the length of your submission to not much longer than 1000 words.  Deadline is June 25.

1.  I have one green eye and one brown eye.  The green eye sees truth, but the brown eye sees much, much more.

2.  The ghost was eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

3.  "Be nice," my father said.  "After all, he's your brother."

4.  I am the most famous twelve-year-old in the United States.

5.  Jason had never felt so foolish before, and he hoped he'd never feel so foolish again.

6.  If somebody didn't do something soon, they were going to have a catastrophe on their hands.

7.  Alison was the runt of the family, born small and ill-favored, and by the time she was fourteen, she was still small and ill-favored.

8.  It was a witchy house: the low-slung roof; that quiet gray paint; those squinting, shuttered windows; and the empty porch rocker that rocked, rocked, rocked day and night.

9.  The first time I saw Stephen, he painted a hex sign on my right arm and I couldn't move my fingers for three hours.

10.  Ms. Fleming's wig had gone missing.

No comments: